Tag: overdress

Buttercup – Beading Begins!

Previously on All My Sparkles: The base dress is done and the first round of applique has been glued in place. I’m happy with the fit, and have slowly been gathering pieces required for the crown and jewelry. What needs to happen next is the beading on the dress though. There’s a lot of it!

I decided to go with ivory pearls rather than optic white and have stuck with this throughout.

Once I’d got this far with the beading, the giant white space over my chest was becoming really obvious. It definitely needed filling. I found some decent silver applique pieces, though when they arrived they were really bright in comparison to the rest of the costume, so I put a layer of paint over them.
Above – Before and after reshaping to better fit the dress. Below – After painting it blends in much better with the other pieces.
Each bead is placed on a white translucent cup sequin and then stitched in place. I used the same sequins on the shoulder pieces to blend them in where there were very obvious silver sequins originally, and added more pearls.
The top of the oversleeve splits also have small pearls on each side.

The underdress Buttercup wears is a scrunchy affair. To do this I bought silk chiffon, soaked it, scrunched it and left it to dry. I heat-set the pleats, created narrow piping from ivory satin and attached it to the overdress at the front and back.
Below – Close up of the piping – I embellished this with a ric-rac ribbon and small pearls.

Quick trying on session to show the fit and size of the skirt! This was before I embellished the underdress.

 
Next up – The crown. All my pieces have finally arrived! 

Buttercup – Sleeves and Silver

So last time I jumped in on this outfit it was basically a top with some stuff pinned onto it. Since then it has fortunately progressed to the point where it’s actually look pretty damn sweet! This horrendous photo of myself is the only one I got after the skirt had gone on, but does show that it’s in roughly the right position on me bust wise. More when my chest is actually hoiked up where nature (alright, Gossard) intended it to be. 

I’ve also had a breakthrough on colour! As previously mentioned, this thing looks anything from blue to shiny white to silver in photographs. Fortunately for me I have a friend in Seattle, and this dress is on display at the Seattle EMP in their Worlds Of Myths & Magic exhibit. She said this thing glows shiny white. It’s like Galadriel appearing in Lothlorien. So bowing to her eyes-on opinion I’m going to forget about attempting to dye it.
The sleeves are medieval/fantasy style, split oversleeves that hang to impractical lengths and are once again embellished around the edges, and undersleeves that are tightly fitted. The fabric I have is slightly more opaque than the original, and the underfinished side doesn’t look quite as nice. I did toy with the idea of lining them with the same fabric, but decided to forget about that idea as it would remove all ability for light to shine through. It also wouldn’t flow as nicely, so I machine hemmed them and put them in.
This is the back drape of the dress as it stands, with sleeves. It’s pinned to overlap at the top just to keep the bugger on the dummy as the sleeves are quite heavy.
The dummy is slightly shorter than I am so it won’t be dragging on the floor quite as much as it is here.

Finally I can start putting all of the applique pieces on this monster! First up is this silver edging. It is actually far more matte finish than I thought originally so I may go over it with a bit of paint to highlight it and bring it up to the shoulder pieces earlier pictured.
For the early stages I glued the trim in place with a fast-grab, washable fabric glue. The applique needed to be cut and shaped accordingly, with bits added or removed where necessary to move it around the corners. There will also be much sewing on of pearls and sequins with this, so the later stitching will also give it that added security.
I have also started work on the crown so check back soon for some babbling about that! Mostly there will be swearing as making jewellry is always a challenge for me.
The Back – To be laced or zipped.

Buttercup – The Princess Bride’s Wedding Dress!

“Mawwige….”
I am of the opinion that only two types of people truly exist. Those who quote The Princess Bride and those who quote Withnail And I.

I’ve always loved this film but was never a big fan of Buttercup’s main costume, the orange/tan affair that she gets herself kidnapped in. But a couple of years ago I had the job of making a shirt for a Westley cosplayer I hang out with, so when I noticed this dress on a recent rewatch I decided I’d have a look at it!
Fortunately this piece, along with Westley’s costume and Inigo Montoya’s, are currently in the EMP in Seattle. Museums are great as they usually have hi-res photos on the catalogue sites or in the museum’s publicity for new exhibits, and if they don’t there is usually a photographer who has taken them.

It’s largely medieval, two parts to the dress – an overdress and an underdress. As can be seen here – 

The colour is another one where it changes beween how it looks in photos and between scenes in the film, seeming to change from ivory to silver to blue. Personally I’m going for a very light blue if it’s achievable with the fabric I have, and if not ivory will do.

Bodice – cotton pipe on the centre line and edged with narrow silver piping. Mine comes up slightly higher because I’m somewhat larger in the bust. Fit comes first!

Close up of the silver piping, and I’ve overlaid the first sets of trim to see how they’ll look – 

To get the right line at the back I had to screencap Buttercup throwing a hissyfit at Prince Humperdinck. It looks like it has a zip close so I’ve left it until I get the top fabrics.
Next on this – The Crown! Until I find my second fabric. <3
Wuv…. Twoo Wuv…