Tag: weddingdress

Buttercup – The Jewellery

The crown begins! First I created the shape, using a heavy duty plastic interfacing. I covered it with silver lame fabric and sized the gaps against one of the large, padded flowers I bought for the dips.

Then I acquired narrow Russian braid to edge the crown. This was applied top and bottom to emphasise the points and creates a 3d effect to the crown. On the original the braided edge and base piece were probably metal, so I’m trying to recreate that effect with fabrics.

This, when it had all dried, formed the base crown. Then it was time to embellish! Buttercup’s crown has large flowers between the points, smaller flowers underneath the points, and three spikes above the points.
These padded flowers were chosen because of their raised edges. I painted the back of them silver as they would be visible above the base crown, then flattened some bead caps to create the gold centre pieces and finished it with a large Swarovski crystal.
Side point – I am a Swarovski snob. I love them. They capture and reflect light just beautifully, and far more effectively than other crystals or cheap diamante. If you don’t believe me, go watch the live action version of Cinderella.

These were the smaller flowers that would go in on the centre of the spikes. These are metal flower bases. I threaded a pearl on a ball-end pin and secured it with a dot of superglue. This was then threaded through the crown and the pin at the back was used to secure the triple spikes.

Above – All flowers installed, next up is the spikes! The centre spikes are larger than the side ones but are basically the same pattern with slightly smaller beads. 

 

Compared to the crown, the necklace was simple –

 
Flat oval pearls and a fake pearl drop piece to start, then a flat base piece to attach everything to. The final moonstone centrepiece was glued in place and all finished!
Then the wig arrived… Couldn’t resist trying it all on! This hair and makeup test was taken before the crown and dress were completed. It was actually a challenge, as my usual makeup style is quite contoured and Buttercup has virtually no makeup.

Really pleased with the result! Now to put it all together….

Buttercup – The Princess Bride’s Wedding Dress!

“Mawwige….”
I am of the opinion that only two types of people truly exist. Those who quote The Princess Bride and those who quote Withnail And I.

I’ve always loved this film but was never a big fan of Buttercup’s main costume, the orange/tan affair that she gets herself kidnapped in. But a couple of years ago I had the job of making a shirt for a Westley cosplayer I hang out with, so when I noticed this dress on a recent rewatch I decided I’d have a look at it!
Fortunately this piece, along with Westley’s costume and Inigo Montoya’s, are currently in the EMP in Seattle. Museums are great as they usually have hi-res photos on the catalogue sites or in the museum’s publicity for new exhibits, and if they don’t there is usually a photographer who has taken them.

It’s largely medieval, two parts to the dress – an overdress and an underdress. As can be seen here – 

The colour is another one where it changes beween how it looks in photos and between scenes in the film, seeming to change from ivory to silver to blue. Personally I’m going for a very light blue if it’s achievable with the fabric I have, and if not ivory will do.

Bodice – cotton pipe on the centre line and edged with narrow silver piping. Mine comes up slightly higher because I’m somewhat larger in the bust. Fit comes first!

Close up of the silver piping, and I’ve overlaid the first sets of trim to see how they’ll look – 

To get the right line at the back I had to screencap Buttercup throwing a hissyfit at Prince Humperdinck. It looks like it has a zip close so I’ve left it until I get the top fabrics.
Next on this – The Crown! Until I find my second fabric. <3
Wuv…. Twoo Wuv…